Tales for Tots is a monthly book club at momstown Mississauga which is sponsored by Scholastic Canada. momstown has teamed up with the publisher to provide a book club just for kids in each of our 19 momstown communities across Canada. Each month we read a story provided by Scholastic Canada and do a fun craft that ties in with our monthly theme. Afterwards there is a free play time where the kids can test out the fun toys at the Chapters kids section.
This month we were lucky enough to have a song & puppet bookOld Macdonald’s Farm. This is a super hand puppet style book that has appeal across the ages. It starts out as a great way to engage your baby and teach animal recognition and sounds. As your child gets older they can tell you what animal is coming up next and there is the possibility for big fun as you get singing and making barn animal noises (you can almost hear the silly snorting and mooing can’t you?).This was my first time ‘reading in public’ and I must say I was terrified! I practised reading to my own two kids at home last night and I realised how engaged they can be in a story. It’s amazing to see how tweaking the way you read just a little can get your kids more involved! I don’t know what I was so nervous about as the kids were easily engaged today (it is a great book) and the song was very familiar.
Our duck craft this month was chosen by my own 2 kids who thoroughly enjoyed cutting out the circles for bodies and the triangles for beaks and feet. It is fun to engage them in the activities and I am looking forward to the summer when we can all be “working” together at all of the fun momstown Mississauga events we have lined up! I am already looking forward to next month when we return to Chapters for our July Tales for Tots book club.
At the end of the session we drew tickets to see who would take home the book. Our winner Ben was there with his Dad and had a great time enjoying the story and getting to do the craft with the other momstown kids.
Do you have a favorite book in your family or one that has appealed to your kids from birth? Share it here or on our Facebook Fan Page. We have a free 4 week trial membership special on our website so you can join us and see what momstown is all about!
LOVE it! You did a wonderful job, Sarah, and the craft is great. So nice to have little 'experts' to help us practice and choose our crafts too! :)
ReplyDeleteDoes your website have a contact page? I'm having a tough time locating it but, I'd like to
ReplyDeleteshoot you an e-mail. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.
Here is my blog natural skin lightening cream